Tilden Elementary is now a Watch D.O.G.S. School!
What is Watch D.O.G.S.?
Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads Of Great Students) is a nationally recognized family and community engagement program that began in 1998. It is know for its unequaled success in bringing male role models into the educational process. The program utilizes the positive influence of fathers and father-figures for a two fold purpose:
(1) To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important.
(2) To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.
Program Effectiveness and Benefits
Impact survey results from principals of 162 schools grades K-5 of 6-8 across 47 states in which the program was in place for more than one year.
- 98% felt Watch D.O.G.S. made a positive contribution to the educational environment of their school.
- 88% felt Watch D.O.G.S. made a significant contribution to meaningful family and community engagement.
- 83% felt Watch D.O.G.S. made a positive contribution to school safety.
- Increased family and student engagement
- Increased parental involvement in students' education
- Provide students with positive male role models
- Provide additional set of eyes and ears within the building to help maintain school safety
Who Are Watch D.O.G.S.?
These men are not teachers nor are they acting as school resource officers. Dads of Great Students are fathers and father-figures (grandfathers, uncles, and other male adults) who are asked to spend at least one day a year at their student's school volunteering as a positive role model and an extra set of eyes and ears. Their mere presence may offer additional security at the school during the day.
How Does Watch D.O.G.S. Work?
Watch D.O.G.S. can actively engage with not only their student(s) but the entire student body. On their day of participation, WatchDOGS participate in a short orientation with the Watch D.O.G.S. coordinator and are given their Daily Schedule of responsibilities. They wear a WatchDOGS ID tag the easily identifies them as an approved volunteer.
The WatchDOGS always work in the presence of, and under the direction of, an educator. They are asked to help with a variety of activities which may include:
- patrolling the school campus
- assisting in unloading and loading cars and/or buses
- reading and working on flash cards with students
- being a referee at recess
- eating lunch side by side with the students
However, at the end of the day, the greatest accomplishment is the satisfaction that the WatchDOG feels when he completes his investment of the day in the school life of his student(s) and knows he's done whatever it takes to sow seeds of success in the lives of students'.
How Do I Become a Watch DOG?
Step 1: Obtain clearences
Step 2: Fill out volunteer packet and return to the Tilden office.
Step 3: Become board approved
Step 4: Contact Mrs. Peter via phone at 484-987-5579 or email email@example.com to sign up.
*Information on volunteer requirements may be found here: https://www.hasdhawks.org/domain/69
Watch D.O.G.S. Apparel
Use the link below to order your Watch D.O.G.S. apparel today!