Hoops For Heart
HOOPS FOR HEART
Our school is participating in a very special community service program to raise funds for the American Heart Association. We are joining the fight against our nation’s No. 1 and No. 3 killers - cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
On Saturday, March, 2017, our schools will be sponsoring a Hoops for Heart event at Perry Elementary Center. The event will be held in the school gymnasium for children from both of our district’s elementary schools. The 4th and 5th grade students will have their event from 9:00 am to 11:30 am. The 2nd and 3rd graders will have their event from 1:30pm to 3:00 pm. Parents are invited to come and watch the activities taking place or can volunteer to help conduct the special activities. This year’s activities will include basketball skills, fun with hula hoops, and other hoop-like equipment.
Hoops for Heart events are held nationwide to help students learn about the benefits of regular physical activity and heart health while they raise funds to support vital research and educational programs. The American Heart Association is very grateful for the support and shares some thank you gifts with the children who participate. Our school also benefits from this adventure by qualifying for gift certificates to purchase physical education equipment.
Family and friends are welcome to support the children’s participation by making monetary contributions. We ask that your child does not go door-to-door or ask strangers for donations. Supporters can donate cash, checks or participate in an online donation program at www.americanheart.org/jump. Some employers and businesses will offer matching gift programs. If you enjoy using a computer, you can help your child register and create his or her own Web page with the tools provided on line. Your child can include a special message about why he or she is participating in Hoops for Heart.
If your child is interested in being a participant, he/she can bring home a packet of detailed participation guidelines and additional important information. There will be a Release and Indemnification (permission slip) form that must be completed and returned to school. The children can then begin to share their time and efforts with others to make this event successful.
Participation in Hoops for Heart helps our children understand the importance of community service and physical activity. The money collected will support the American Heart Association’s programs that help to save more lives each year….maybe even your own life or that of someone in your family. Our efforts truly make a difference!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your children’s Elementary Physical Education Teachers.
David Miller Lorrie Wolfinger
Perry Elementary Tilden Elementary
610-562-3024 ext. 5136 610-562-2241 ext. 4506
Hoops for Heart Fundraising Event
When: Saturday, March 21, 2015
Where: Perry Elementary Gym
Time: 9:00 am to 11:30 am ……. 4th & 5th Grade
Time: 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm ……... 2nd & 3rd Grade
WHAT DO I DO AFTER I HAVE DECIDED TO PARTICIPATE?
1. HAND IN YOUR PERMISSION SLIP
* The slip can be found attached to the collection envelope.
* Give the slip to your P.E. teacher …..OR put it in her/his mailbox…… OR give it to your homeroom teacher.
2. COLLECT DONATIONS
* Politely ask family & friends if they would like to help people with heart problems by making a monetary donation. Any amount of money would gladly be accepted.
* People may give you cash or a check. Checks should be made to “American Heart Association”.
Place the donations into the collection envelope. Record the amount of their contribution on the envelope.
* Be sure to say “Thank You” for each donation you receive.
* Before you hand in your donation envelope…..please change all cash into a check or money order payable to the “American Heart Association.”
*You can register to collect on-line donations – see the “How To” instructions on the back of this paper
*If you have on-line donations – Please print out your on-line report and put it in your envelope.
3. WHEN YOU HAVE RECEIVED YOUR FIRST $5.00 IN DONATIONS
*Ask your parents complete the verification certificate (attached to your envelope) to receive your first Hero Duck
*Bring your verification certificate to school and hand it in to your teacher to be put into our mailboxes.
*Your lanyard and duck will be delivered to you as soon as possible.
4. SOMETIME BEFORE MARCH 21st THERE WILL BE A SPECIAL MEETING TO REVIEW SPECIFIC
INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT TO DO THE DAY OF OUR EVENT
5. HAND IN YOUR DONATION ENVELOPE
* You can give your envelope to your teacher the week of March16th, 2015.
* OR you can bring the envelope along with you on March 21st and hand it in when you register.
* Be sure to put a check at the spot indicating your T-shirt size if you have collected $ 50.00 or more in donations.
6. PARTICIPATE IN THE SPECIAL EVENT AT PERRY ELEMENTARY
* Arrive early to register in the lobby, at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time. Look for the table that coordinates with your school to check in with the adults and hand in your envelopes.
* Place your coat in the cafeteria. Enter the gym and look for your teammates and your assigned area. PLEASE WAIT TO BEGIN PARTICIPATING UNTIL THE EVENT HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY STARTED.
* All equipment needed will be provided for you…you do not need to bring anything with you.
* Take turns with your friends participating in a variety of activities.
* You will be given a break and our PTOs will provide you with a refreshing snack.
* You may bring along a water bottle BUT you MAY NOT bring it into the Gym…, it must stay in the hallway or cafeteria. Be sure and put your name on your water bottle.
* Parents are welcome to come and watch, and participate if they would like to! For safety reasons, if younger siblings come to watch, they will need to stay in the bleacher area.
7. RECEIVE THANK YOU GIFTS
* You will receive a variety of gifts depending upon the amount of money you collected in donations.
* The gifts will arrive and be distributed sometime in late April or May.
8. IF YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS
* Feel free to talk to: Mr. Miller at Perry Elementary 610-562-3024, ext. 5136
OR Mrs. Wolfinger at Tilden Elementary 610-562-0291,ext. 4506