Summer Advanced Programs
Taking summer college courses or being involved in a summer career program will help you build your portfolio for college. It is also a great way to determine if the career direction you are heading toward, is the right one for you. Many of these programs are also a great addition to your college applications.
Please consider attending one of the following:
- Pennsylvania American Legion "Keystone Boys State" Educational Workshop - Established 1937, this is an educational workshop for high school student leaders. Students selected to attend KBS have the opportunity to gain leadership skills through an intesive week-long summer program. The focus of KBS is its hands-on simulation of municipal, county, and state government. This workshop will be held at Shippensburg University from June 21 - 27, 2020, for High school students who have completed their junior year and have at least one semester remaining before graudation. The week's tuition is paid by an American Legion Post. For more information or to apply go to www.PABoysState.org.
- Pennsylvania American Legion, State Police, National Guard Youth Camp - Established in 1970 to increase understanding among the youth of Pennsylvania and its law enforcement. In 2010 the Pennsylvania National Guard joined with the American Legion and the State Police with the same objectives to give the cadets the chance to see and experience firsthand many areas of law enforcement, and military which includes leadership, discipline and self-esteem. State Police Youth Week will be held June 7-13, 2020 . For more information or an application visit the website at: www.pa-legion.com.
- Duke University Summer Session - We are focusing on ways to help students come up with creative solutions to Global Challenges. From Malala to Greta, young people today are taking charge of problems facing the world and solving global challenges! Duke University Summer Session is launching a unique set of new courses in 2020 on today's most pressing global challenges: Plastic Pollution, Global Epidemics, Access to Healthcare, Human Trafficking, Migrant Crisis, Climate Change, and Food and Nutrition. You will join a network of powerful students from around the world and work together to solve these important problems! To learn when these sessions will be held and how to apply to attend go to their website at https://summersession.duke.edu/high-school-students.
- Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week - If you are looking for a unique and challenging program that provides a hands-on opportunity to learn about the free enterprise system this program is for you! This program opens doors for high school sophomores and juniors to learn what it takes to succeed in the fast paced world filled with endless changes and challenges. You will receive practical tools and knowledge that will help you determine your career path while making life-long connections and friendships. Since 1979, this internationally acclaimed program has taught students what it takes to make the private enterprise system work. For more information when and where this program is being held or to apply stop in the counseling office or go to www.pfew.org. Deadline to apply: May 1, 2020.
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies - We offer programs across a wide variety of disciplines - arts, business, humanities, math, science, and more allowing highly motivated students to investigate advanced topics not typically taught in secondary schools. Participants engage in small classes with brilliant instructors and peers who share their passions. Deadlines for most of our summer programs are in February, with some early round deadlines in January. Admission is selective. Limited financial aid is available. For more information when these programs run during the summer check out the website: https://spcs.stanford.edu/programs.
- Elizabethtown College "Entrepreneurship Summer Camp" - Have you ever wondered how you can help your community and the environment through entrepreneurship? Learn how to develop, refine, and test your ideas, how to create a business plan, how to market and finance your enterprise, and ultimately, how to persuade others that your idea is worth pursuing. Make a live pitch in front of judges in a 'Shark Tank' format (only friendlier!). Through an experiential and fun approach, learn the business skills needed to move your idea from concept to reality. This camp is for high school students entering 9th - 12th grades and runs from July 19 - 24, 2020. For more information go to http://www.etowncollegeonline.com/summer2020. Deadline to register: May 1, 2020.
- George Washington University Pre-College Program - This program hosts high school students from around the world to spend a summer in Washington, D.C. Students take advantage of the George Washington University's expertise in engineering and applied sciences, medicine and healthcare, business, global leadership, political communication, international relations and public policy. Two programs that will be offered: College Intensive which is a 3-week or 6-week session that runs June 28 to either July 17 or August 7, 2020, for rising juniors and seniors (ages 15-18) and gives them the opportunity to earn college credit by engaging in challenging undergraduate-level courses. The second program is Summer Immersion which is a full-day, rigorous, noncredit program for rising sophomores, juniors and seniors (ages 14-18). Participants enroll in 1- or 2-week programs, being held June 28 to August 7, 2020, that integrate lectures by expert faculty with site visits, experiential activities. Past courses offered included Introduction to Medicine, Global Business, Foreign Policy, Social Change, Intro to Engineering, International Law, Crime Scene Investigation and more. For more information and to apply go to https://summer.gwu.edu/precollege. Use Promo Code PC2020 to waive your application fee. Deadline to register: May 1, 2020.
- Boston College Pre-College Programs - Boston College is offering five exciting programs for high school students available through Boston University Summer Term. Our pre-college programs provide students with rigorous and collaborative college life experiences that enable them to gain a strong sense of their personal and academic potential. The programs they are offering are High School Honors, RISE Internship/Practicum, Academic Immersion (AIM), Summer Challenge and Summer Preview. For more information and to find out when the programs will be held, please go to http://www.bu.edu/summer/high-school-programs/.
- Adelphi University Pre-College Program - As you consider unforgettable summer opportunities, you are invited to learn more about Adelphi's Pre-College Program, which College Consensus recently ranked among the top 30 pre-college summer programs in the nation! Students will engage in hands-on, high impact learning under the guidance of the professors and industry experts, and participate in social programming, college readiness workshops, and excursions to nearby New York City. You will leave Adelphia with three transferrable college credits and an unforgettable growing experience. The program is held from July 19 - August 1, 2020. For more information or to apply go to https://precollege.adelphi.edu/.
- Lehigh University "Iacocca Global Entrepreneurship Intensive" Program - This program brings American high school sophomores and juniors (ages 16-17) together with international high school students from all regions of the world for four weeks to live and learn together at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Students learn about entrepreneurship, globalization, team building, project management, leadership and working within a culturally diverse environment. The highlight of the program is the team project, where participants work in small groups to apply what they've learned and help a local or international business solve a problem. In past years, students have worked with regional and international companies such as Just Born Quality Confections, CT Global Solutions, Habitat for Humanity, Lehigh University Office of International Affairs, Real Time Cases, PBS 39/WLVT, and more. The program runs from June 28 - July 25, 2020. For more information or to apply go to https://global.lehigh.edu/iacocca-institute/high-school. Application Deadline: February 19, 2020.
- University of Pittsburgh "Health Career Scholars Academy" - Health care is an important and changing world that offers a wide range of careers in scientific research, medicine, mental health, public health, social work, rehabilitation, and administration, to name a few. It is also a world that increasingly demands highly skilled and knowledgeable practitioners who are well versed in the economical, cultural and personal implications for consumers. The University of Pittsburgh Health Career Scholars Academy introduces the students to the world of health care, including issues of primary care, prevention, public health, career exploration, human growth and development, and areas of practice. The Academy is often a springboard for future studies in medicine. This program is held June 25 - July 25, 2020. For more information or to apply go to http://www.hcsa.pitt.edu/. Deadline: February 19, 2020.
- Penn State "Pennsylvania School For Excellence in the Agricultural Sciences Program" - This is a four-week residential summer program being held July 5 - 31, 2020 at University Park campus for academically talented and gifted high school rising seniors from throughout Pennsylvania. This program hosts a variety of opportunities to learn more about Penn State and Agricultural Sciences, through classes, labs, workshops, field trips, and other activities. For more information or to apply go to https://agsci.psu.edu/school-for-excellence. Application Deadline: February 21, 2020.
- Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences "Discover Nursing Summer Program" - If you're considering a career in nursing and would like to get an up-close look at what nurses do on a daily basis, you'll want to explore a special opportunity offered by Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences Nursing Program! Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences Discover Nursing Summer Program, which takes place the week of June 23 - 26, 2020, is designed to give prospective students a chance to work with nurses within the Hospital. You may get a chance to observe an operation or emergency care nursing, or experience nursing in the maternity, pediatrics, or medical-surgical areas. For more information or to apply, stop in the counseling office or go to the website https://reading.towerhealth.org/academics/health-sciences/programs/nursing/discover-program/. Application Deadline: March 27, 2020.
- New York University Precollege Program - Our Summer 2020 NYU Precollege runs from July 5 to August 14. For scholarship consideration, students should apply well before the deadline, April 1, 2020. For more details and the most up-to-date information, please visit http://www.nyu.edu/admissions/high-school-programs/precollege.html.
- Lebanon Valley College "Actuarial Science Camp" - LVC has had a successful Actuarial Science Program for more than 50 years, and they run this summer camp for more than three decades. Leveraging industry connections and alumni suggestions, the Actuarial Science Summer Camps are week-long intensive programs for rising high school seniors designed to help them decide if they're interested in actuarial careers. The camp is from June 21 - 26 or July 5 -10, 2020. Visit https://www.lvc.edu/life-at-lvc/summer-community-programming/actuarial-science-camp/ to learn more or to apply.
- Tyler Art & Architecture Pre-College Summer Programs - The Environmental Design Institute is a new and exciting pre-college program for rising 10th, 11th and 12th grade students that utilizes both the urban environment of Temple Main Campus and the living laboratory of Temple's Ambler Arboretum. Explore landscape architecture and horticulture in this hands-on program that incorporates science, design and sustainability. Join your creative peers at Tyler this summer from June 22 - July 2, 2020 for the college experience and leave with lifelong friendships. For more information or to apply go to https://tyler.temple.edu/continuing-education-program/environmental-design-institute.
- William & Mary College "Pre-College Program in American History" - Live and study on the William & Mary campus. Earn 4 hours of transferable college credit. Visit historic sites and museums throughout Virginia. Meet students from across the U.S. and around the world. Learn from Historians, Architectural Historians, Archaeologists, and Curators. Develop college-level reading and writing skills. Financial assistance available from the National Institue of American History & Democracy. Choose Your Session - Session 1: June 21 - July 11, 2020, or Session 2: July 12 - August 1, 2020. Choose Your Class - HIST217: Virginia, the Colonies, and the Road to Revolution or HIST218: Virginia, the New Nation and the Road to the Civil War. For more information and to apply got to https://www.wm.edu/as/niahd/precolsummer/. Deadline: June 1, 2020.
- University of Delaware "Edge Summer College Program" - Be part of EDGE! A University of Delaware program for high school students who will be juniors and seniors next fall. Take summer courses taught by UD faculty. Earn up to seven transferrable college credits. Live in a residence hall on UD's beautiful campus. Prepare for the college application process. This program runs from July 12 - August 15, 2020. Learn more and apply at https://www.udel.edu/apply/undergraduate-admissions/precollege-programs/edge/. Deadline: April 1, 2020.
- Bucknell University "Bucknell Academy Summer Experience" - The Anthropocene Age: How have humans permanently changed the planet and what do we do about it? We invite you to participate in a valuable opportunity to delve into this challenging issue and to experience interdisciplinary study on a college level from top tier professors who are experts in their fields. This is a hands-on learning experience designed to challenge your thought processes while providing exposure to college level work. Learn more and apply at https://www.bucknell.edu/meet-bucknell/plan-visit/camps-conferences-visit-programs/bucknell-academy-summer-experience. Deadline: Saturday, April 18, 2020.
- Susquehanna University "Summer 2020 Pre-College Programs" - Are you a motivated student who wants to learn new skills, improve you abilities, and explore topics that add to your college resume? Would you like to spend a week on their beautiful campus as you participate in rigorous workships with other high-achieving students - while also enjoying fun social activities on and off campus? Then one of Susquehanna's summer programs may be a great choice for you! Our faculty and college student mentors will challenge you in your coursework and support you throughout the week. The numerous programs available run from June 21 - July 25, 2020. Learn more and register at https://www.susqu.edu/academics/summer-pre-college-programs.
- Branson NYC Fashion Summer Camp - We offer two NYC Fashion Summer Camps for high school students. Session A: June 21 - June 27, 2020, and Session B: July 12 - July 18, 2020. They are designed for teens entering 9th through 12th grades. Each week-long session will teach the students the fundamentals of the fashion industry by providing an insider's perspective. The students will stay at the LIM College Residency Hall on the Upper Eastside. Each morning the group will be picked up at the dorm by a Branson NYC representative. From there they will depart for the industry visits, seminars and activities of the day. Each evening we will have group activities planned. Enrollment is limited to 20 campers per session. We accept applications on a first come, first served basis. For more information and to fill out a summer camp application got to their website: https://www.bansonnyc.com/.